The West Point Lighthouse was first lit on May 21,1876. Located on the southwestern tip of Prince Edward Island, West Point Lighthouse is a square tapered wooden tower. As the first lighthouse built by the federal government on the Island, the lighthouse is associated with the transfer of responsibility for aids to navigation from the colonial government to the new Federal Department of Marine. A design change from octagonal to square towers coincided with the changeover. It has a tower height of 67 feet and a cliff height of nearly 20 feet, West Point is the tallest lighthouse still in use on Prince Edward Island.
For more information visit